We can help you adopt a stepchild
If you have a strong and loving bond with a stepchild, you may want to consider adoption. Like any other adoption, it’s a very personal decision that requires careful consideration and should be in the child’s best interest. Some benefits and features of stepparent adoption to consider:
- Depending on a number of factors, you may or may not need the noncustodial parent’s consent to complete the adoption. We can evaluate your circumstances and advise you on this issue at no charge.
- You’ll become the legal parent of the child. This means you and your spouse become solely responsible for the child’s welfare.
- The child will inherit from you.
- You’ll have the right to give the child your surname if you choose to.
- You’ll participate in all major decisions regarding the child, including what happens to the child if you and your spouse become incapacitated while the child is under 18 years of age.
- A new birth certificate will be issued, listing you and your spouse as the child’s birth parents.
- Adoption may be finalized immediately after filing the petition, provided any required consent documents have been executed and filed.
- No home study is required for a stepparent adoption.
With more than 30 years of adoption experience, our board certified adoption specialists can walk you through the process of adopting a stepchild. If you decide to move forward, we can make it happen for you.
Ready to get started?
Contact us for an initial consultation.
- Our flat fees for stepparent adoption start at $3,250 plus costs.
- We accept all major credit cards.
- Expedited completion for uncontested stepparent adoptions available.